Let the shopping begin! I have officially started my Christmas shopping. Hubby & I went out together for a few hours today and made decent progress, and are inspired at least for the moment! We have a long way to go, but at least we’ve started. Too bad that this was probably the last sane weekend at any retail establishment in the lower 48. When hordes of people are out and about and tempers and rudeness ensue, I sort of lose that loving feeling that Elvis sang about.
While I prefer to see and touch before I buy, seeing and touching loses it’s glamour when it’s more like a shark feeding frenzy, and ordering online suddenly becomes more appealing. But for today – stuff was bought, good humor abounded, and all was good. I can’t believe the season is upon us again!
I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving – as I will be out of touch again for a little while. Yes, go ahead and say it, when has she ever been in touch???
A couple of weeks ago I was tagged, or memed (whatever that means)! I’ll stick with tagged. Anyway, I was tagged by Linda over at Crone & Bear It. I’ve been out-of-pocket a little lately, and have been avoiding WordPress like it’s my evil nemesis. Yes, I feel guilty, but sometimes I just have to live with the guilt, you know?
Down to business … as a part of this post, I need to tell you four simple rules of this game. They are as follows:
Meme (aka Tag) Terms & Conditions:
- Link to the person who tagged you.
- Mention the rules on your blog.
- List six unspectacular things about yourself.
- Tag six other bloggers by linking to them.
There you have the rules, and here come the six unspectacular things about myself (I’m sure my friends could come up with many more unspectacular traits):
- I’m a crossword-a-holic lately. Not sure why, because I’m sort of crappy at it, but I’m addicted nonetheless. Guess there are worse addictions out there. My sister gave me a crossword puzzle book last spring. I’m still working through the same book, if that gives you any indication of my crossword expertise.
- I’m convinced I have ADD. I start many projects, but finish few. I start them knowing they won’t get finished, but that doesn’t stop me from starting.
- I’m an alternative rock music fan (seriously!) and know most of the words to my son’s band’s songs. When I don’t know them, I just make something up. Sometimes I even use real words! Occasionally, I even recognize other alternative bands’ songs, maybe a Breaking Benjamin or Coldplay song. I even like them.
- I’m a defender of the underdog, at least in my head. I will look for reasons to defend most anyone from an attack (at least a verbal attack, not physical – I’m not that big, nor am I that stupid!). Unless the underdog is an ass. Then the underdog can fuhgedaboudit.
- I’m not a great cook. I CAN cook, and I CARE about cooking, but other things take up my time. I suppose if I really cared about cooking, I would find the time, and maybe even become a great cook. If only I had 48 hours in every day, for then I would certainly cook! Uh-huh, that’s right.
- I love off-beat humor. Not crass or filthy, just a little off to the side. Like Ellen Degeneres, David Letterman, Craig Ferguson, Steve Carrell. These people make me laugh!
Now for my tags. Here is where I break the rules. I only know two blogs to tag. The only other bloggers I know have already been tagged – Linda (who tagged me), and Delaney at Delaney’s World. I don’t have six blogging friends, so you can see how pathetic I am. So, so sad … Anyway, I now declare the following blogs are tagged and said bloggers are hereby requested to go public with just six unspectacularities. Well, only if you want to. Drum roll, please …
- Char at Rambling is Therapeutic; and
- Diane at Two Barking Dogs.
Meanwhile, I’m off to make a few more blogging friends …
Are those of you who know me starting to wonder? Did I wake up from some dream and start magically speaking Spanish? Oh, probably not. Se llama Obama just sounds cool, so I went with it … y proximidad, and all that … that should put your mind at ease that I don’t know what I’m talking about. If not, just keep reading …
Now, aren’t we all glad that’s over with … the election, not the above paragraph.
We have a new President-Elect. I won’t get political here because I’m painfully unqualified, although I do have my druthers. I’m sincerely glad it’s over with if for no other reason than when I pick up the telephone I know a recorded voice won’t be on the other end (well, maybe), but at least it won’t be begging me for a vote … but instead to renew my car warranty, to change my telephone service, to come to the meeting at school, to confirm the doctor’s appointment, to make a donation, to return the movie or buy it, to return the library book or never borrow another … but at least not to beg me for a vote!
…and thank goodness that now when I turn on the tv the nasty political ads will be gone for a while. The talking heads will still be yakking, and Oprah will still be emoting, but come to think of it, that’s a pretty normal state of affairs. Yes, soon, life will be back to normal.
Or maybe not. No matter your leanings, it’s a time to move ahead. A time of excitement and newness. I’m hopelessly optimistic, or optimistically hopeless … hmmm … one or the other!
Yes, for me!!!! Another surprise! It’s a pretty award – The Charming Blog award – I got from my friend Delaney over at Delaney’s World. Read the paragraph below – sums it up perfectly …
“This blog invests and believes, in ‘proximity’ [meaning, that blogging makes us ‘close’ – being close through proxy] “They are all charming blogs, and the majority of them aim to show the marvels of friendship; there are persons who are not interested when we give them a prize, and then they help to cut these bows; do we want that they are cut, or that they propagate?”Then let’s try to give more attention to them! So with this prize we must deliver it to eight bloggers that in turn must make the same thing and put this text.”
While I don’t have eight bloggers in my little world to pass this to, I can at least pass it to a couple. What the above paragraph says to me is that we bloggers should encourage each other. This keeping of a blog is not an easy thing, at least not for me. Those that reach milestones and spend time entertaining, educating or just writing in a thoughtful manner for others, should be appreciated for their efforts. I pass this award to the following blogs that I enjoy reading, and hope that these bloggers will continue to pass it on.
The only other two blogs I consistently check in on are Delaney’s World (http://delaney55.wordpress.com/) and Crone & Bear It (http://croneandbearit.wordpress.com/). These ladies already have this award, but they deserve a double!